Tourist hoards invading midtown got you down? Ice rinks and giant Christmas trees strike loathing in your heart? Us too. Below find some suggestions for getting out of town during the holiday season and beyond.
- Though you might not think of the tip of Long Island as a particularly desirable destination, Montauk in Winter can actually be quite nice.
- Keep an eye on Airfare Watchdog’s New York flights, as you can generally cop very cheap flights to place like Fort Lauderdale (Currently $159), Miami ($139) and Palm Springs ($265) if some hotter weather is what you’re after.
- The New York State Tourism board has a searchable database of winter fun.
- NYCSki and board offers ski and board daytrips out of the city.
- The nearest-to-NYC cross-country skiing site with groomed trails is Fahnestock Winter Park.
- New Jersey has some nice outdoor activities for winter as well.